Version: 27/07/2022 (The English version is the official version)
1. What is a cookie?
2. Types of cookies
There are various types of cookies. Cookies can be classified according to their origin, function and duration.
- First-party cookies are cookies that are placed by us on your device in order to ensure the proper functioning of the website and to enhance the quality of our services.
- Third-party cookies are cookies placed by another domain name than that of our website. If a user visits a website and a third party places a cookie via that website, this is a third-party cookie. For cookies placed by third parties, we refer you to the statements that these parties provide on their respective websites. Please note: we cannot influence the content of these statements or the content of the cookies of these third parties.
First-party and third-party cookies can be further divided into:
- Essential or strictly necessary cookies (as their name suggests) are necessary in order to use a website, provide certain features requested by you, and ensure safe identity verification;
- Functional cookies are cookies that ensure the correct functioning of the website. They store information about your choices and preferences on our website (e.g. cookies for remembering login or registration, your language preference, or products in your shopping basket). Logically, functional cookies are first-party cookies.
- Non-functional cookies are cookies which may be placed for statistical, social, targeting and commercial purposes. They have nothing to do with purely technical support of the website. Non-functional cookies can be first-party or third-party cookies.
- Cookies for statistical purposes allow us to determine which pages of the website you visit, where your computer is located, etc. (e.g. Google Analytics, Linkedin Insight tag, Hotjar).
- Cookies for social purposes allow the user to share the content of the website visited with others via social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube).
- Cookies for targeting purposes allow us to create a profile based on your browsing behaviour, so that the ads shown are adapted to your interests (e.g. Facebook).
- Cookies for commercial purposes record how many and what ads have been shown to the user (e.g. Google Adwords and Bing ads).
Cookies can also be broken down according to their lifespan:
- Permanent cookies: These cookies remain present on the user's device for the duration defined in the cookie. They are activated every time the user visits the website which placed this cookie (e.g. cookies placed by social media such as Facebook, Google Analytics, etc.). Most non-functional cookies are permanent cookies.
- Session cookies: These cookies allow us to simplify a user's actions and link them to each other during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser screen and ends when they close the browser screen. Session cookies are placed temporarily. As soon as you close the browser, all session cookies are removed. Most functional cookies are session cookies.
When you use our website, we place the following cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies require no consent from you and are automatically registered to your device when you visit our website. These cookies allow for the proper functioning of our website.
When we use functional and non-functional cookies, you have given your consent via the cookie banner. You can withdraw this consent at any time by deleting the cookies stored in your browser (see below).
The cookies we use do not allow the systematic gathering of data that could allow the identification of the users of our website. They only help us to ensure and improve the functioning of our website.
However, the following data, which qualify as personal data, may be processed by these cookies at the first moment of collection:
- Information about your computer (e.g. your IP address, the date and time of your visit to our website, the internet address of the website from which you opened the link to our website);
- Other information you choose to send us (e.g. when you ask us for information).
4. Accepting cookies
When you first visit our website, a cookie banner will appear. Via this cookie banner, we inform you about which cookies we use, and we ask you if we can use functional and/or non-functional cookies. You are free to consent or not.
5. Deleting or disabling cookies
If you do not want websites to place cookies on your computer or want to delete your cookies, you can change your cookie settings in your web browser.
These settings can generally be found in the ‘Options’ or ‘Preferences’ menu of your web browser. You can also adjust your settings so that your browser rejects all cookies or only the cookies of third parties.
To better understand these settings, the following links may be useful. If not, please use the ‘Help’ function in your web browser to obtain more information. You can find useful information about cookies at: https://www.allaboutcookies.org/ and https://www.youronlinechoices.com/
6. Do you still have questions?
You can always contact us at the following email address: email@example.com or per mail at our registered offices for the attention of the Data Protection Officer: Kapeldreef 60, 3001 Leuven (Belgium).
Of course, we always ask your permission for the use of certain cookies.